David

Tell us about yourself.
Muntjac

David

Post by Muntjac » 01 Oct 2019, 20:03

Hello,

I'm David, from Gesves (near Namur). I've got european perch (Perca fluviatilis) and Rainbow trouts in two parallel loops. Media beds are in a greenhouse for the perch loop and the the trout one is outside (trout fishtank is in a concrete garden shed to keep an optimal temperature in the summer). I'm busy thinking of a way to decouple my systems and to maximise the use of the sludge produced in the veg loop.

Vasch
Site Admin

Re: David

Post by Vasch » 09 Oct 2019, 17:34

Hi David and welcome to the forum!
Curious to see some pictures of your system.
Feel free to post your specific questions, I am sure you will get some help from the other users.
By the way: may I ask where you get your perch? I had some bad experience with perch that did not eat dry food, so I am curious how you manage to feed them.

Muntjac

Post by Muntjac » 15 Oct 2019, 09:47

Hello,

I will post picture as soon as my systems are a bit more aesthetics...

My perchs comes from a natural pond, so they are not trained to take dry pellets and are fed only with live food (bsfl, worms and maggots). I plan to get my future fishes from the university of namur where i used to work. They now have some f3 domesticated strains. Or i'll go and get them from lukas perch. That species is fantastic in an aquaponic system.

I also would like to try Burbot in the future.

Vasch
Site Admin

Post by Vasch » 15 Oct 2019, 18:21

Thanks for the info. I have burbot on stock so feel free to contact me. But it is not the easiest fish so you'dd better get some experience first.

Muntjac

Post by Muntjac » 16 Oct 2019, 11:30

Why do you say burbot are difficult? Are they more subject to deseases? More difficult than trout?

Vasch
Site Admin

Post by Vasch » 16 Oct 2019, 12:36

They are more sensitive to fast changes of water temperature, pH and other water conditions. These changes are typical for smaller systems. Trout need more oxygen but in my experience they are easier to grow than burbot. Furthermore burbot is quite cannibalistic when having size differences. I find it also more difficult to feed them as they eat at night and you can't easily see them eat.

Muntjac

Post by Muntjac » 16 Oct 2019, 16:04

Thanks for the info ;-)